The 25 Best Icebreaker Questions For Work That Will Help Your Team Get To Know Each Other
Everyone is familiar with icebreakers in some shape or form. Whether it's your first day of school, work, or out on a date, icebreakers are a universally accepted way to get to know another person better.
With an increase in remote work environments, it has become even more essential to ensure your staying connected with your teammates. But staying connected while working remotely can make this difficult. It's easy to become isolated while working from home. And busy online workspaces with asynchronous communication can make it difficult to set aside time to get to know someone else.
Despite these challenges, it's still incredibly important that your team spends time getting to know each other better. One of the biggest reasons is that it will build trust between your teammates. Trust is an important thing to have on a team, because it improves morale AND productivity. When teamamtes know each other better, they build trust, and when they trust each other, they work better as a team 😃.
Our Slack app, Bill Is Fun, uses hundreds of original icebreaker questions to help teams working remotely get to know each other better. Over time, we have collected data on what icebreakers have the highest engagement. This is an important statistic for us to collect, because there's no point in asking icebreaker questions that don't connect to your team.
Here is a list of our Top 25 Icebreaker Questions determined by Engagement.
Our Top 25 Icebreaker Questions
1. What's your favorite fruit?
This might seem like a strange #1 answer. But when you think about it, it kind of makes sense! The best icebreaker questions have a high level of relatablility and easability. If everyone on your team can answer the icebreaker with confidence and speed, you're going to have a much higher engagement rate. And everyone (for the most part), has a favorite fruit! Now, admittingly this isn't the most creative or thought provoking icebreaker question. In fact, it's a tad bit boring. Your going to find funnier, wittier, and more specific icebreakers on this list. BUT, keep in mind, you're main goal here is to get your busy team to take time out of their day to get to know each other better. Try not to take too much time out of their day by asking overly complicated icebreaker questions. Balance is the key, here!
2. What was your favorite toy as a kid?
3. What was your favorite game to play during recess?
4. What's the first thing you would do after winning the lottery?
5. How much water do you drink every day?
6. What's your favorite thing about the Fall season?
7. What's the last horror movie you watched?
8. How often do you meditate?
9. What superpower would you like to have?
10. What's one item you would bring on a deserted island?
11. Where do you want to live after you retire?
12. What's one item you can't leave your home without?
13. If you had access to Kanye West's Twitter account, what would you tweet?
14. What's your role on the Starship enterprise?
15. Who's your celebrity crush?
16. What's on the top of your bucket list?
17. If you weren't in your current profession, what would you be doing?
18. If you could speak one more foreign language, what language it would have been
19. If you had a parrot, what's one thing you would it teach it how to say?
20. What advice would you give to your 23 year old self?
21. What's the last movie that made you cry?
22. What food do you hate that everyone else loves?
23. What's the last book you've read?
24. If you had to get a face tattoo, what would you get?
25. What's one technology that changed your life?
Thanks for taking a look at our Top 25 Icebreaker Questions! Remember, it's more important than ever to keep your team connected and engaged in a remote environment. Icebreaker questions for work are a great way to do this. They build trust, and as a result, boost your team morale and make your team more productive. Feel free to use these icebreaker questions in your Slack, Microsoft Teams, or any online workspace your team is using. They are sure to at least get an interesting discussion going, and give your team a much needed break from their busy schedules!